Interviewing is a lot like dating. Thnx for stopping by and sharing your thoughts. Sam, I was thinking about your intro. Iron your dress shirt and comb your hair!
Speed Interviewing Lessons Learned From Speed Dating
If you are attractive, in a professional sense of course, you will be the one they take home at the end of the night. Follow Laura on Twitter at careerhero. The longer the employment gap, radiocarbon the more logical their thinking.
Do you stand up when she excuses herself to go to the restroom? Are you self-deprecating but confident in your delivery? Speed dating is a relatively modern process that is used to help singles rapidly screen a large number of potential dates.
What is a Speed Interview
- You want to be like that movie that leaves the viewer wanting for more after the credits start rolling.
- Speed dating groups routinely report high satisfaction rates, as well as relatively high dating success rates, in spite of the relatively short initial assessment time.
- Even if you are a senior person being interviewed by a junior.
- Find Jobs in all states Jobs across the state - not available elsewhere on the Web.
- Speed dating advantages include low risks, a brief time commitment for each assessment, and an opportunity to meet and assess a large number of candidates all at once.
- While Gladwell introduces several examples of thin slicing, one of the most relevant to us in recruiting has to do with analyzing married couples to determine the health of their relationship.
Unable to load page
After all, there are so many parameters to consider. This is the way close friends touch each other. Tim Cork, president of the Toronto career transition company Nexcareer, before Inc.
The parallels are amazing! Thin slicing works because the subconscious mind is very methodical and rational. Most people are right-eye dominant.
Let them know how pumped you are at the prospect of becoming part of the team! Your humour and the analogy make it a really effective message. Interviewers will also question a long hiatus from work. Mention to the interviewer it was a pleasure meeting while thanking her for her time. Be unforgettable by being genuine and engaging.
Hence, interviewing is a teachable skill that grows with practice. Do it right and you can trigger some of those same feelings. Real employers who value your experience are looking for you here. Speed Dating Concepts Speed dating is a relatively modern process that is used to help singles rapidly screen a large number of potential dates.
He lives in Pacifica, California. Your email address will not be published. The companies use this process for experienced candidates and for college hires. This should help you in your preparation and follow up. Be bold, try new things, and rely on the data.
Interesting bit about creativity. The concept is simple and relatively straightforward. You need this information for your follow-up thank you note, etc.
It is the act of taking an activity and breaking it down into micro segments, which then get coded and analyzed for trends. With a failure rate like that, tossing a coin would be a more effective measure! You may be skeptical, but consider that the traditional interview format you currently use also has dozens of inherent weaknesses. Hmmm, I have to wonder if my future interviewer will try to kiss me on our first interview! Another option is to have several interviewers present and each candidate rotates through each in order to get multiple assessments of the same candidate for a single job.
7 ways interviewing is like dating
You may be asked what you do or to simply introduce yourself. Some direct similarities that you alluded to are eye contact although probably a different sort and touching in some way besides a hand shake again, probably not trying for a hug here. Be ready with your own questions to ask them. Wow great post I really enjoyed reading it. The conscious mind, on the other hand, is not as methodical, rational, how to or unbiased.
Appearances matter more than you think. What is the rationale behind this type of interview? Leave a Reply Cancel reply Your email address will not be published.
This is a well written post Mr. The first is the possibility that snap subconscious judgments will lead to discrimination. That may be perceived as threatening. The enumerated emotions were then summed and added to additional biofeedback data producing a ratio of positive to negative. However, if you pay any attention to the New York Times bestseller list, you might have heard about a book entitled Blink written by Malcolm Gladwell.
Instead of a restaurant, what about taking her to a park along the beach on a warm, sunny day for kite-flying and a picnic? It also gives employers a chance to see how the candidates respond to pressure and competition. They are better at other things, but not this.
- As a result, decisions influenced by the subconscious, something that often occurs when time does not exist to evaluate things further, tend to be much more accurate and fact-based.
- Even if the time with each interviewer is very short, you are interviewing for a job.
- Job-Hunt Intelligence Weekly Newsletter.
- Let her know how much you enjoyed your time together and that you look forward to building a relationship.
Never really knew that interviewing was like dating so much, guess you learn something new every day! You sound like a optimistic and cheerful person any boss would enjoy having! This is the most relevant example, because accepting a job with an employer is a lot like accepting a spouse in a marriage. First, there was speed dating.
Or do you go for the kill and lay a big fat wet one on her lips? If there is only one hiring manager, each candidate rotates through for a single timed interview. Girls start thinking something is wrong with you.